Wednesday, January 12, 2011

17 Giga Pixel Photo of Yosemite

I have a picture of Yosemite's Half Dome on the home page just because it happens I was able to visit this last summer. I went with two brothers. With no spouses or kids we hiked the heck out of it. Pretty exhausting, but great memories. We did manage to get to the top of half dome. It was a 17 mile, 10 hour day and a lot of soreness the next day. It was a vertical of about 5000 ft. Bill and I huffed and puffed our way up while another brother lugged all the water and still had to pause looking back at us wondering why we were so slow.

Reddit has a link to to a video of someone panning in and out of a 17 gigapixel photo from a spot where I believe I stood. It's really cool. The original photo is here. One of my own photos from this spot is below. Not quite as good. It's interesting as the video zooms to the summit of half dome and you can see people on top of it. I didn't realize that I would have seen that if I could have zoomed from this point.


Also worth checking out is Dubai at 45 gigapixels, Budapest at 70, and London at 80.

No comments: